Nothing is as frustrating as having cracked, crooked, and discolored teeth. Not only do they affect your appearance and confidence, but they also impact your oral health. At Bella Smiles Cosmetic and family dentistry, we understand the importance of a smile makeover and that’s why we offer a variety of cosmetic dental options including porcelain veneers.
What are Porcelain Veneers?
These hard, thin, and wafer-like shells are bonded to your tooth enamel to mask a variety of teeth imperfections such as gaps, cracks, chips, and discoloration. These veneers are designed to mimic your natural teeth in shape and appearance, and best of all they are stain-resistant.
Veneers routinely fix a variety of dental problems such as;
- Tooth discoloration either from excessive fluoride use, root canal treatment, or consumption of staining foods.
- Misaligned, uneven or irregularly shaped teeth
- Chipped or broken teeth
- Smaller-than-average teeth.
What Can I Expect at My Dental Procedure?
Are porcelain veneers effective? They are if done by a qualified and experienced dentist. At Bella Smiles, we fix the dental veneers with precision to ensure they are durable. You generally need two or three dental visits based on your dental health.
- First appointment
The first visit involves planning and diagnosis. Dr. Gibson will explain and discuss with you the goals of the treatment, what to expect, and the limitations. She will do an x-ray and get an impression of your teeth and mouth. Additionally, she will remove a small portion of the enamel to make room for the veneers. Due to the trimming of the tooth, you may get a local anesthetic to prevent sensitivity.
The model of your tooth is then sent to the laboratory and it may take two to three weeks for the dentist to get the veneers back. A temporary veneer is used to protect your teeth as you wait.
- Second appointment
During this visit, Dr. Gibson will bond the veneers using special cement, and she will then activate the chemicals in the cement using light beams to hasten the hardening process.
A follow-up visit is required after a few weeks to monitor check how the gums respond to the veneers.
How Long Do They Last?
Porcelain veneers last between seven and 15 years after which they will need to be replaced.
Although dental veneers don’t require special care, you still need to maintain good oral hygiene to promote the durability of the veneers.
- Don’t chew or bite hard objects with your teeth
- Don’t grind or clench your teeth, if you do, it is recommended you get a guard to protect them
- Never use your teeth to open packages
- Always wear a sports mouthguard when playing sports
The cost of dental veneers differs depending on the extent of the procedure and the number of teeth that need to be fixed. However, they range from $1,000 to 2,000 per tooth.
What are the Pros and Cons of Porcelain Dental Veneers?
Porcelain veneers present great benefits;
- They provide a natural tooth-like appearance
- They are stain-resistant, but you need to avoid overconsumption of beverages like coffee and tea
- Most people tolerate porcelain veneers well
The downside of veneers includes;
- The installation of the veneers is irreversible. Once the enamel is grounded down, it doesn’t grow back and you will need crowns even if you change your dental treatment.
- Veneers color can’t be changed, so if you plan to whiten your teeth you need to do it before the procedure
- Veneers can still decay
- They are not suitable for people who clench and grind their teeth).
Get A Belle Smiles Makeover
Your dental health and smile are vital after all your smile is the first thing we notice. Bella Smiles Cosmetic and Family Dentistry offers a smile makeover with various cosmetic dentistry procedures such as porcelain veneers. Our minimally invasive process is convenient and can conceal your dental imperfections perfectly, and if taken care of, these veneers can last for decades. So, call us today for the dental transformation you have been waiting to have.