The Dos and Don’ts of Caring for Your Dentures
While dentures are similar to teeth in many ways, there are a few key differences. The way you’re used to caring for your natural teeth might not be the right way to take care of your new dentures. If you’re still getting used to having dentures, here are a few dos and don’ts to keep in mind in order to keep them in good shape for years to come.
- Do clean your mouth after removing them. Bacteria can build up around and underneath your dentures, so it’s important to remove that bacteria before it causes problems.
- Do soak your dentures overnight. This keeps your dentures hydrated and prevents cracking.
- Do brush your plate at least once a day. Keeping your dentures clean is the best way to make sure they stay in good condition.
- Do schedule regular dental check ups. Your dentist will be able to monitor your dentures to make sure they’re in good shape and that there are no issues with your oral health.
- Don’t use damaging toothbrushes and cleansers. Being too rough on your dentures can cause them to break, erode, or become discolored. Use only recommended products when cleaning your dentures.
- Don’t use bleaching products. Bleaching can work unevenly and discolor the pink portion of your dentures over time, leaving you with a patchy and unnatural-looking smile.
- Don’t use whitening toothpastes. Along the same lines as bleaching, whitening toothpastes can damage your dentures over time. If you’d like your dentures whitened, talk to your dentist.
- Don’t use hot water. Hot temperatures can cause your dentures to warp, changing the way they look and fit in your mouth. Instead, use warm water to clean your dentures.
If you have any questions about how to care for your dentures, the friendly staff at Bella Smiles is always happy to help. Give us a call at 832-930-7858 to talk to a dentist or make an appointment today.