If you’ve lost a tooth lately and want to bring back your appearance and smile, dental implants come in handy. Dental implants are artificial structures, screw-like devices that a dentist puts into a patient’s jawbone to replace a lost tooth or teeth.
According to (AAID), American Academy of Implant Dentistry, approximately three million individuals in the United States have dental implants. Fortunately, dental implants are very safe and usually require very little maintenance.
Just for clarification, dental implants aren’t the same as dentures, which are removable artificial teeth. Implants can not be taken out, either when sleeping or for cleaning. Only a qualified dentist can insert or remove a dental implant.
Types of Dental Implants
Depending on your dental condition or preferences, you can have either of the following dental implant procedures:
- Endosteal Implants – they are implemented into a patient’s jawbone through surgery.
- Subperiosteal implants – Here, a metal frame is embedded onto the jawbone below the gum tissue.
If you’re looking for a qualified dentist in Sugar Land that performs dental implants in Sugar Land, TX, schedule a consultation with Bella Smiles.
Is a Dental Implant Painful?
If you have dental anxiety, you have little to worry about as dental implants are performed under a local anesthetic, so no pain will be felt during the procedure.
However, after the procedure, there’s a possibility of experiencing post-surgery discomfort. The intensity varies depending on the patient, but it isn’t always that bad. The discomfort is typically more or less that of a tooth extraction procedure.
Fortunately, you can ease the pain and discomfort with home remedies such as ice packs and OTC pain medication. The doctor may also prescribe some antibiotics and oral rinses. The side effects are likely to disappear within a week.
What Are the Benefits of Dental Implants?
The benefits you will enjoy after a dental implant include:
- Improved Appearance and self-esteem – Implants look and feel like natural teeth – so they can give you back your appearance and self-confidence.
- Improved Speech – Dental implant allows you to speak with eloquence without mumbling words.
- Comfortable Eating – Missing teeth can make chewing food difficult. Dental implants can replace the missing teeth, allowing you to chew with confidence.
- Convenient and durable – Unlike dentures, dental implants don’t need to be removed before sleeping or cleaning. Dental implants can be used for years if well cared for.
Dental Implants Maintenance and Recovery
Fortunately, dental implants are safe and have a high success rate. You’ll have little to worry about after the procedure. However, dental care and maintenance are required. Here are a few tips for caring for your dental implants:
- Brush your teeth at least twice a day with a soft brush
- A few days after the procedure, brush around and under the implant crown
- Use low-abrasive toothpaste
- Floss regularly
- Avoid eating sticky or hard food immediately after the procedure
- Avoid alcohol and smoking
- Schedule regular dental visits – you can visit the Bella Smiles dental office near Sugarland, TX, for a check-up or professional cleaning. Make sure you see a dentist every six months.
- Practice proper dental care
After the procedure, your doctor is likely to schedule follow-up visits to monitor your progress. Keep note of the progress of your procedure – it will help your doctor to understand your progress.
Possible Dental Implant Risks & Complications
- Movements of the implant
- Pus or discharge from the implant
If you notice any severe complications after a dental implant procedure, you should seek immediate medical attention. Ignoring such signs could result in severe gum and teeth complications.
Ready Fora Dental Implant?
As you’ve seen above, dental implants are standard procedures that require minimal prior preparation and aftercare. Besides, they are safe, affordable, and very successful. The long-time benefits you’ll enjoy are plentiful.
If you have any questions regarding dental implants or would like to schedule a consultation, visit Bella Smiles for professional dental care in Sugar Land.