Does it intrigue you how some people can achieve and maintain the best-looking, perfectly-aligned smiles? The secret to achieving a perfect smile is seeking treatments to correct your underlying flaws. However, it is only possible to master the best practices for maximizing Invisalign treatment when you begin your orthodontic treatment. Some of those practices include:
Maintaining oral hygiene and caring for aligners
Good oral hygiene cannot be emphasized enough in dentistry. All dentists at Bella Smiles Cosmetic and Family Dentistry ensure to remind patients of the benefits of keeping a clean mouth. Besides, taking care of your oral hygiene also means attending to the cleanliness of your aligners. Usually, before you leave our dental office, we offer a few guidelines for caring for your Invisalign clear aligners in Sugarland, TX including:
- Remove your aligners when eating.
- Soak your aligners in the cleaning fluid.
- Use the correct tools as your dentist recommends to keep the Invisalign braces clean.
- Brush your teeth before wearing the aligners.
Tips to manage discomfort and enhance comfort during treatment
When you begin your orthodontic treatment with Invisalign braces, you will quickly realize that you will experience some tension and discomfort in your gums and jaw. The discomfort is due to the pressure the aligners must apply to your teeth to move them accordingly. Therefore, another way how to make the most of your Invisalign treatment is mastering the tips to manage the discomfort. Some of them include:
- Eat soft foods only: Hard foods place unnecessary pressure on your teeth, adding to the discomfort.
- Take over-the-counter pain medicine: to alleviate discomfort, especially during your first installation. Over time, you will not need medication to get through the first days of a new tray.
- Apply orthodontic wax: to any areas of the aligners that feel rough. It should help reduce irritation.
- Use an oral rinse: A warm saltwater solution can soothe your gums and make your experience more pleasant.
- Liaise with your dentist: about any necessary adjustments to your aligning trays.
Follow recommended guidelines for optimal results.
If you care about the tips to optimize Invisalign treatment results, you must uphold all your dentist’s guidelines. Some of the fundamental ones are:
- Remove your aligners before eating to prevent scratching, cracking, or breaking them. Besides, clear aligners stain easily when exposed to highly pigmented foods.
- Wear your Invisalign aligners consistently for at least 20 hours. Usually, orthodontists recommend wearing Invisalign braces for up to 22 hours daily. Your dentist only requires that you remove them when you eat. Therefore, consider this one of the primary expert tips for getting the best outcomes with Invisalign.
- Replace your aligners after a few weeks. They will have served their purpose that far. To continue with successful treatment, you need a new tray of aligners. It should take between 30 and 32 trays to complete your treatment, depending on the complexity of your orthodontic problem.
Combining Invisalign with other dental procedures for comprehensive treatment
For effective strategies for maximizing the benefits of Invisalign treatment, you cannot rely on the orthodontic process alone. So much goes into achieving excellent oral health. Therefore, you must be open to incorporating other dental procedures during your orthodontic treatment for the best outcome. Some of the dental procedures you need for a comprehensive treatment are:
Routine dental checkups and cleanings –
you should continue to visit your dentist regularly even though you are undergoing orthodontic treatment. Regular dental exam and cleanings will help elevate your dental hygiene, while the checkups allow the dentist to detect any anomalies and resolve them speedily.
Orthognathic surgery –
Orthognathic surgery is relevant for severe cases where significant jaw misalignment exists. The dentist may recommend Invisalign as a pre-surgical phase to align the teeth and prepare the jaws for the surgical procedure. However, post-surgery, you may need Invisalign to refine your jaw and teeth alignment.
Teeth whitening –
If you want to enjoy your smile after straightening them, you should consider teeth whitening services. Dentists often recommend teeth whitening before or after Invisalign treatment for the best outcomes.
When you desire a transformed smile, an orthodontist evaluates your oral health, discusses your desired outcomes, and generates a customized treatment plan to achieve your dental needs. However, the plan may involve combining Invisalign with other dental procedures to achieve comprehensive and optimal results.